Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Of puzzling jigsaw...

My little girl now has a love for puzzles. Jigsaw puzzles that is. Thanks to Daddy-o who wanted to give her something more ‘educational’ during the birthday dinner we had for her. Just a little something so that we can watch her unwrapping them. You know how they just love to tear the wrappers open (and i will just cringe at the side, coz i cannot bear to see lovely wrappers turned into bits..hehe). So instead of one, daddy-o got her three of the puzzle-in-a-book book. It was a 6 piece puzzle per page.

Her first initial reaction was just to flip the pages. Then when she saw that the pieces could be taken out, that was all she did. She took out all the pieces from all the pages. So we kept one just so she doesn’t lose them all.


She then got the hang of it a few weeks after maybe, and learned how to do page by page bit by bit. Now, she can almost memorize which piece goes to which page. I know you shouldn’t test your child but I could not help myself and purposely put a piece at the wrong page. And she corrected me straight away.

She would say “Nak jigsaw puzzle” once in a while. That must be one of her first 4 syllables words in a row that she can pronounce. She can now so far do a 12-piece or 20-piece (the jumbo ones) but when my mum gave her a 40-piece puzzle, my sister and my maid ended up doing it instead.

Now, I am trying to teach her shapes and colors. I even got those special jigsaw that teaches colors but she refused to do them. I had to hold them up instead of making her do the puzzle. Maybe the pictures are not so interesting. I don’t know. Last night i tried by making it like a flashcards instead. At least it did get her attention a bit. Maybe seeing mummy making silly faces and noise is much more fun to her. Haha

Shapes. Well let’s not go into that just yet. Right now it's just circles. That's all she would draw. I will update again when I have better updates on shapes. Hehe


On a different note, I just found a 500-piece puzzle at home in one of my many unpacked boxes quite recently. I must have purchased them during one of my visits to the fleamarket in PJ years ago. I am now wondering how to go about trying to do them without getting my little girl 'facscinated' with the smaller pieces puzzle. I can bet you she would go throwing them up like 'rain'... :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Erra said...

i think jigsaw puzzles make good rain

4:46 PM  
Blogger elly said...

erra, i just cant began to imagine the 'cleaning up' bit..haha

9:37 AM  
Blogger miss-cream said...

clever arina!! puzzles are great... but i know what you mean about the cleaning-up part - not so exciting..

4:40 PM  
Blogger NN said...

dont start on the jigsaw puzzle! u'll be hooked and u'll have backache, eye pain, brain swelling... i'm doing a 1000 pieces of a japanese painting and i dunno whether it's the back pain from the epidural or too much sitting down trying to finish the bloody puzzle...

5:13 PM  
Blogger elly said...

misscream,
rite...barney's clean up song now is being overplayed and it does not help much now..hehe
ziah,
yeah...i know what you mean..in that case, to the shelf it will go for now..hehe

8:52 AM  
Blogger The Momster said...

mummy-o,
awwww don't stop yet!! it's good for her but keep it to less pieces for now eh?

i can imagine the rain... hehe...

10:00 AM  
Blogger elly said...

hehehe..nins..i dont think she's ready for the 500pcs ones...i dont think i am ready also for now..so much other housework to do laa.. :(

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home