Monday, January 23, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha


Saw it with the family on Sunday, though hubby was not in town. :( The first screening on Sunday at 11.45pm, ok! And little angel was left at home. I feel guilty about leaving her, but then again, she wont enjoy it and would be restless about keeping still in a dark and in a loud place rite? (mummy-o trying to make herself feel better)

Anyway, the movie is lovely. Felt in love with Sayuri and Mameha character instantly. (well ok, maybe The Chairman is not bad also) :) The cinematography is very beautiful. There are also some funny bits and also sad. I find the Mother character quite funny, funnily garang. But I find that the sadness portrayed in the movie was not profound. I mean I am sad that Chiyo was taken away from the family and her way of life after that and the pain she felt. But then again, it makes me wonder, what if she wasn’t taken at all and lived with her family? It’s a pity it does not say what happened to her sister after she ran away. Whatever it is, I think even if you expect more, the last line of the movie best summarize whatever expectations you might have. Good ending lines.

What I admire most though is perhaps Sayuri’s determination. I feel that I wanna read the book. I used to be persistent about reading its book before watching the movie first J Now not that ‘dah tak kisah’, I know reading a book first is soo much better, because you’ll get to concoct your own imaginary things with the words from the book, and watching the movie after will always tend to disappoint you a tad little. Oh well, let see if I do ever get to go around reading (or getting to buy :)) the book if at all. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Erra said...

the book is much better!

1:32 PM  
Blogger elly said...

it is? ok..will go and get it after paycheck. Hehe.

Hopefully i get to finish it since dah tgk movie plak ni.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home